The derma roller is a new innovation in the field of beauty that helps you to correct problematic parts of the skin like stretch marks, cellulite, scars , wrinkles etc. It is a small cylinder device that has a lot of micro-needles that are able to penetrate the upper skin layer without damaging the skin or causing pain.
The skin pores are left open for about an hour, so the skin can absorb the body creams and lotions. The redness that will be caused is usually one after a few hours. In this article we will show you the proper way of derma-rolling in order to use your derma roller safely without having any infections or side effects.
Before we proceed in showing you the best way to use a derma roller, we would like to discuss some common misconceptions about what a derma roller can do and how it works
Derma Roller Misconceptions
1. The derma roller can treat acne. X
No, it cannot treat acne. It could even cause an acne breakout. You should not use 0.5 mm and longer needle sizes in order to treat acne. Also, it should not be used on skin that suffers from other serious skin conditions. If you happen to have a skin condition it is better to consult your dermatologist before using a derma roller on your face.
2. You should use 1.5 mm and above needles to see real results X
This is completely wrong and could even be dangerous! 1.5 mm needles can cause scarring and it is best to be used by a physician. Also, 1.5 mm needles can produce bleeding and result in a painful treatment.
3. Not pulling your skin while derma-rolling. X
When derma roll your face, you should stretch and pull your skin using your other hand. This will help the needles penetrate your deeper skin layers easier.
4. You should derma roll every day to see real results. X
Wrong. You can derma roll every 2-3 days with 0.25 mm to 0.5 mm needles, but for 0.75 to 1.00 needles you should derma roll only twice per month. This will allow your skin fully recover and minimize any side effects caused.
Easy steps to use a derma roller properly.
1. Put your roller in a small cup with alcohol in order to disinfect the needles. Leave it for 10-15 minutes
2. Attach the roller head on your roller.
3. If you have very sensitive skin apply numbing cream and leave it on for 30 minutes before starting your treatment. This will help minimize any discomfort or pain caused.
4. To cover the area properly it is best to start rolling 10 times in up and down, across and in diagonal directions. Make sure to pull and stretch your skin using your other hand .
5. Use the smaller roller head to derma roll the hard to reach areas.
6. If you happen to have any blood on your face just wash your face and dry it off.
7. Apply your favorite skin care product to help boost collagen production. We suggest to use vitamin C serum
8. Disinfect your roller with alcohol for 15 minutes before storing it in order to prevent future infection.
Do not forget to read our and choose the one that suits your needs.