We may all want to have smooth and soft legs but certainly we want to learn how to avoid razor bumps and redness on our skin after shaving. If shaving is one of our -almost- daily habits the effect of intense irritation and dryness of the skin after the contact with the razor is something usual and highly annoying – especially when accompanied by itching!!
Before you get disappointed and accept this situation, follow these 8 tips which can help you avoid the razor bumps and the irritation caused by shaving.
8 Best Tips on How To Avoid Razor Bumps and Irritation
1. You’ve heard it 19,999 times to date, but once again does not hurt: Exfoliate. It would be good do to exfoliation before shaving your feet in order to open the pores of the skin and remove the dead skin cells.
2. Be sure to frequently change your razor (5-10 shaves) and never ignore the signs that indicate that you should replace it immediately.
3. Do not shave against the grain, it is not good. The correct direction of shaving has a very important role. That is the advice you will take from all the experienced beauticians: Always shave your legs with the grain.
4. The temperature of the water in the shower may also affect your shaving. Always be sure to use lukewarm water when shaving. It will make your hair softer and easier to shave.
5. Invest in a good razor and avoid using the cheap single-blade disposable razors. These are not the best choice for both men and women and only a solution in “emergency situations”. Using a nice four or five-razor blade you can have a deep save with smooth results and it will be easier to handle areas like knees or ankles.
6. Beware of your moves and of course shave gently. If you rush, combined with the pressure and stress you apply on your legs without realizing it you may cause severe irritation.
7. Do not insist on shaving the same point over and over again, all you will accomplish is to cause even greater irritation.
8. Last but very important: Do not shave your legs outside bath, especially having your skin dry. Also all the beauty experts advice to hang out a bit in the shower or bath (maybe around 15 minutes) before you start shaving your legs. This will make the hair softer and open up the hair follicles. Do not stay much longer before you start shaving because your skin may swell and wrinkle and make it harder to have a good shave.
These tips show you how to avoid razor bumps and have a more comfortable and clean shave. If you apply them you will minimize the chances of annoying irritation. Irritation may occur even if you do everything right, this is why in our next article we will discuss how to get rid of razor bumps on legs when they have already appeared. Also, don’t forget that there are alternative ways and you can always check our if you are thinking that you are tired from shaving.